Friday, August 3, 2007

Getting ready to head home…

Yesterday was a relatively light day in terms of the conference. We met in the morning, briefly and had some discussion about the overall themes for the week. It was a nice wrap-up. We then quickly ate lunch and boarded a bus to visit the Palace Museum in Taipei. That was quite amazing. The museum houses artifacts from the various dynasties in Chinese history, dating back 8000 years. There was a ton to see, and we only saw a small fraction of it. Still, it was quite amazing.

We then bussed over to a restaurant in downtown Taipei that was at one point named one of the “Top 10 Restaurants in the World” by a NY Times writer. It wasn’t a particularly high-class restaurant (that’s not intended to be a put down, I had just expected a very formal place, and I was actually happy to find it was not that), but instead, a very well run restaurant with delicious food. Their specialty was dumplings, and we ate a lot. A LOT. Pork, crab, vegetable, with soup, spinach, and the list goes on. It was all very tasty. Again, it was a great way to end the week.

We then boarded the bus and drove back to Hsinchu through a pretty amazing thunderstorm. The rain was coming down very hard and there were quite a number of nice lightning strikes to see. As we approached our hotel, I started falling asleep even though it was barely 9:30…I never fully let myself adjust to the time difference.

This morning, I’ve been getting my stuff together, doing some reading, and anxiously am waiting for the car to pick us up and take us to the airport. It’s been a nice week, though I am definitely ready to be back home. It’ll be about 25 hours between when I take off from Taiwan and when I land in DC, so it’s still a ways off. However, it’s good to think about that return trip being in progress.

No comments: