Thursday, March 5, 2009

Now is the time on sprockets when we dance!

One story from yesterday that I forgot to relay:

The first room on the tour of the castle yesterday was the entrance room, which had the family tree of the owners (who historically were the kings/emperors of Prussia/Germany) painted on the walls. The woman leading the tour described much of the history--who followed who to the throne, dating as far back as the 11th century. Then she went on to say:

"Then the final emperor left the throne at the end of the first world war when Germany briefly became a democracy."

That was followed by some giggles and laughters until we all remembered why that democracy was so brief. Then there was about 10 seconds of nervous, awkward silence.

Anyway, today was back to the conference--an interesting day overall, but again, little to report. After the conference, I wasn't up much for walking around, largely because it was raining/snowing pretty good and I didn't want to get wet, and I wanted to get a bit of work done as I have a conference to go to 2 weeks after I return to Chicago. So I must prepare for that.

I decided to grab a quick dinner on the way home. Realizing that I had been in Germany for 6 days and that I hadn't had a bratwurst yet, I decided to go find one. I walked around a bit and found a manned window where I could get a variety of sausages. I ordered two: a bratwurst and a currywurst. The currywurst is in essence a bratwurst chopped up, smothered in ketchup and curry powder sprinkled all over it. Now by "smothered" I mean ***SMOTHERED***! Wow..not a huge ketchup fan, but I had to try it once.

I got the bratwurst with mustard. Interesting way of cooking it--they roll the brat in dough and then fry it, so that instead of a bun, it's almost like a giant pig-in-a-blanket. It was quite nice. I enjoyed it.

I then came back and have been working. Sorry for being so boring. However, to make up for it, I leave you with this video that I saw on tv. It's not German, but it was on German tv, and I enjoyed it.

No comments: